Airtel's App Central clocks 13 million app downloads in 4 months!

22 Jun

Just four months after its launch, Airtel’s application store, App Central, has registered 13 million downloads, according to a release issued by India’s largest carrier. The online application store is registering 1.2 app downloads every second and today has a repository of over 70,000 apps, making it the largest carrier app store in India.



App Central had registered a million downloads in 12 days and did about 2.5 million downloads in its first month. Airtel had announced its app store on February 10 at MWC as one of the many carriers that backed an Ericsson-backed initiative to prevent carriers from becoming dumb pipes while handset manufacturers and operating system developers raked in the moolah by selling apps.



Developers can price their apps in any one of the 15 pre-defined price points from Re 1 to Rs 199, with an option for duration-based subscription plans ranging from daily, weekly and monthly subscriptions. Airtel retains 70 per cent of the revenue generated and passes on the remaining 30 per cent to the developer.



The system detects a user’s phone make and model and shows only those apps that would work on it so that the see doesn’t download an app that would later not work on his phone. Users can also see their purchase history and can redownload the apps they paid for in case they switch phones. Airtel subscribers can access App Central by sending APP as a text message to 54321.

No Responses to “Airtel's App Central clocks 13 million app downloads in 4 months!”

  1. Thakur June 22, 2010 at 11:11 pm #

    Are they making any money?

  2. Aman June 23, 2010 at 4:54 am #

    What was the most popular application?

  3. Petabro June 23, 2010 at 9:57 am #

    How is the user interface? I wonder what kind of response others carriers are getting on their app stores

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

  1. Tweets that mention Airtel's App Central clocks 13 million app downloads in 4 months! -- Topsy.com - June 22, 2010

    […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Rishi Raj, CellPassion. CellPassion said: Airtel's App Central clocks 13 million app downloads in 4 months! http://bit.ly/cOoKeR […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: